Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Christmas/New Years update





Merry Christmas and Happy New Years everyone, I've been on a break from school so I've been enjoying the festivals and the ceremonies. I also switched families so now I live closer to the center of Denpasar. In Bali since the majority of people are Hindu, Christmas isn't really a big event here. Instead they celebrate Galungan and Kuningan, those are two days where everyone goes and visits their family back in their villages and prays, and when I say everyone I mean everyone. During Galungan when my family left the house to go to their village the streets were almost completely empty. Meanwhile at some temples there are 2 hour lines to get in to the prayer area.
Local temple in my fathers village

Holy Man

One box of offerings that my mother prepared (there were 3 more in the house)

The first of two waiting lines to get into the temple we went to for kuningan 

One of three parking  areas around the temple 
My brothers and I at the very scenic Uluwatu temple for Guningan 
The prayer area in Uluwatu

That's about everything important, I've been mostly getting to know my new family and hanging out with them. I also went to another monkey sanctuary with some of my friends from school and of course more beaches. 
My new monkey friend and I (It wouldn't be a proper blog post without monkey pictures) 
We saw this monkey who had apparently found and was nurturing a kitten instead of a baby monkey


More standard beach pictures 

Balangan Beach
That it for this post I will have another one up as soon as I can. 




No comments:

Post a Comment